Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Nature vs. Nurture...?

I was on the phone today with my dad and Arliss when Colton and Casey came running into the room to announce that there was a SPIDER!  In the BATHTUB!  (Or in Casey's words, 'Ladybug! Bathtub! Ladybug!').  I thought they were excited because, just yesterday, a spider came dangling down over the kitchen and I showed them how I could put it in a tupperware, trap it with the lid, and take it outside.  So I said, "It's okay, I'll help you with it in a minute."  Meanwhile, Arliss is saying "Oh, gross.  Just kill it!" on the phone, and I started my high-and-mighty explanation of how I'm trying to teach them to be respectful of nature and how I don't like to kill random creatures (except for that one spider last week when the boys weren't looking, because that fucker was huge, and he was watching me.)  Then, in the middle of my hippie sermon, Colton comes back into my room and says "Mom, we DIED him!  And we broke ALL his legs!  And we buried him under the Lightning McQueen mat!"

Yeeeup.  Nature, 1.  Mom, 0.

No comments:

Post a Comment