Friday, May 6, 2011

Motorboatin'-- the Kid Version

I had a sudden recollection today that made me laugh.  And since I haven't posted for awhile, I thought-- maybe it's time for some Fart Talk. 

It was a couple months back when I realized that my Preshus Widdo Boys can fart on command.  The night started innocently enough-- some dinner, some Hot Wheels on the road carpet, then off to the tub.  I was cleaning the rest of the bathroom while Colton and Casey sat in the tub and played with their bath toys, when suddenly I heard an earth-shattering rattle that just wouldn't end.  Like someone had just started a speed boat inside the bathroom.  I whipped around to check on the boys, and Colton looked a little concerned, but Casey... he just looked at ease.  Satisfied, you might even say.  Colton and I started cracking up when it finally dawned on us what we had just heard.  Then Casey figured out what we were laughing at, and it set them both off on something like a Farting Showdown with eachother.  And when they realized they could make their own bubbles, the situation only escalated.  I was afraid to touch that nasty, gassy bathwater when it was time for them to get washed.  At one point in all this, Shawn came upstairs because he actually heard the farting from the room where he was watching television.  (bathtub acoustics are pretty intense.)  Anyway... I'm sure it's one of those "you had to be there" things, but I haven't laughed like that in a long time.  And when we had all finally calmed down, Colton looked thoughtful and said "When farts die, do they turn black?"  Completely set me off again.  And this came two days after he said, "Do you know what a rabbit's fart says?  Maaaaaaailllll booooooxxxxx."

I'm not sure I'm supposed to laugh at this kind of thing or teach them the laws of etiquette instead... but for now, in the privacy of our own home, the laughing just comes more naturally to me.  I guess it might have something to do with being raised with two older brothers who used to have farting duels on our wooden chairs at dinnertime (unbelievably loud acoustics there).  I believe they totally broke me in and prepared me for this.  So, uhhh... thanks, John and Jacob!  I dedicate this post to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment