Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Breaking Down The Bean

Heh.  Remember when I said that thing about posting something every day for 365 days?  That was funny.  Also, it's never gonna happen!

The Bean had his Halloween party at preschool today!  He's dressing up as a rocket this year, but when it was time to pack his costume in the car and leave for school, his outlook on that turned into a big HELL NO.  Luckily, I forsaw this change and had a back-up costume in mind-- the Angry Birds hat I made for Colton last year.  He wears that around the house sometimes, so it wasn't as big a deal as putting on an unfamiliar costume that might gather unwanted attention.  (I was still surprised when he put it on without complaint and didn't even try to take it off when we got to his school.)

He was a little nervous when we got to his classroom and everyone was dressed in costume, but he sat down and started on his morning project anyway, and didn't even notice when I left the room.  Later, when I came back to pick him up, I was waiting for his turn to be called to the door to come out and meet me.  Every other kid had already left when his teachers called me over, laughing to each other. 

"We're just letting Casey finish eating his cookie."

And there he was, sitting alone at his table with his hat on, carefully nibbling on his Halloween cookie. 

To explain, Casey has never eaten in school, though they always have snack time.  Not even when it was someone's birthday and a cupcake was sitting right in front of him.  He also won't eat at Grandma's house.  Or Memere's house.  Or at birthday parties.  It's some kind of performance anxiety, I think.  I mean, I don't 'think'.  I know.  I know what it feels like to be that kid.  To rather curl up into a hole and disappear than to be noticed doing anything.  But he's trying, and he took a step forward today-- he wore a hat to school, and he ate a cookie.  It may seem small, but it made my day.  And I love his teachers for understanding the magnitude of it, for not calling attention to him as he was eating, but for quietly celebrating amongst themselves-- and with me-- and giving him a high-five on his way out.  He had a good day.



HAVING SAID THAT....

You still don't ask him to pose for your dumb camera.  Jeez, Mom.



He can't take it.



It's killing him.






It was at this moment that he realized how funny he must look.





I broke down The Bean.

No comments:

Post a Comment