Monday, August 15, 2011

I Have a Five-Year-Old!

There's this shred of sadness that comes with saying goodnight to your child on the eve of their birthday.  Birthdays are so exciting, and next to Christmas, it's THE DAY for kids to look forward to all year long.  And I'm excited for him-- for tomorrow, for his party, for his feeling more and more like a Big Boy, especially when he walks on that school bus next month and rides away from me to meet total strangers on the other end. 


But tonight, I said goodnight to my four-year-old for the last time.
THIS BOY!  He is the source of so much pride, love, aggravation, humor, insanity, silliness, wonder.  He will talk your ear off and question you until your head explodes.  Then he'll kiss you and hug you and tell you how much you're loved.  Then he'll ask you to take him to the park!  In that order.


But he really is a loving kid, even when he doesn't want anything.  He loves all people and wants them to be happy.  He's a wonderful big brother.  In fact, I fear for the poor souls who dare cross Casey or Mackenzie.  Recently, at McDonald's playland, a few older boys (around 12 or 13) went into the play structure and they were being pretty rambunctious in there.  Colton marched right up to them and said, "You have to be careful in here!  You're going to hurt my little brother!  He's just little!" 


And so is Colton.  Just not as little.  No longer this baby that I once knew:

























Happy Birthday to my big 5-year-old!  Love you, Buddy!




No comments:

Post a Comment