Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Casey's Birthday Party

To begin with, the weather was perfect.  Like, absolutely perfect.  Best day of the year so far.  We got really lucky, considering the unpredictability of June (not to mention the fact that this year's weather has been kind of a mess).


We kept it small this year, as we were also dealing with the unpredictability of a pregnancy in its 38th week.  And duuuude, I'm tired, so a big party sounded absolutely horrid.


Casey chose a sports theme for his party.  A few weeks back, we lined up a few of his favorite toys 3 times and watched to see which he'd favor-- Mickey Mouse, motorcycle, or ball?  He chose the ball every time, which wasn't in the least surprising. 


So here's the invitation (with a link to its designer, because I love her creations):






I didn't go theme-crazy like I did at Colton's construction party last year (because, like I said, GAH, 38 weeks!), but I managed to find some sporty birthday decorations at the dollar store and I made some cupcake toppers with scrapbook paper and foam stickers:






We spent the whole party outside playing, which I think all the kids loved.  Dirt piles, a giant trampoline, a sandbox, a four-wheeler, a dog-shaped tent... every day is a party around here!








We had our regular BBQ fare for dinner, and it was cute to watch all the kids schmoozing over their meals.




Tête-à-tête at the umbrella table:






The many faces of Casey the Bean:










The opening of the presents went pretty smoothly until I realized that Casey's tendency to get physical over the ownership of toys extends beyond his brother.  Here's Casey inspecting his new truck with Pete:



And here's the moment when it dawns on Casey that he has company in the inspection of his new toy:




And finally, here's Casey "apologizing" to Pete after pushing him down and making him cry:


(His apology looks very heartfelt on that picture, but he started laughing at the situation about three seconds after the photo was taken.)

Here's the whole smörgåsbord of presents and kids.  I don't mean to alarm anyone, but one of the toddlers might be missing, because it looks like I rolled one up and stuck him in my belly.  Maybe even a whole preschooler:


Curvin showed up right after dinner and was immediately attacked by his gaggle of fans:





But there was competition for attention this time, as Colton was SUCH A HUGE FAN of Ava's from the moment she arrived:










How freakin' cute is the whispering??

Cupcake time!  Casey carried his around for at least twenty minutes before taking a bite:




And Pete... well, Pete just makes me laugh.  Meredith said he was dead serious about his blue frosting and big boy cup:




Only one meltdown from Casey that day, when I removed him from Colton's four-wheeler because I thought he might drive himself backwards down the driveway.  (also, I apparently think crying babies are funny.  Or maybe I'm laughing about the Chins of Pregnancy.  Who knows.):




So that was a good party!  I think we should always have smaller ones like that.  Right, Shawn??

1 comment:

  1. The sequence where he pushes the other boy is hilarious. Er, I mean bad. Very bad, Casey!

    ReplyDelete